favourite travel moments of 2013Saturday, January 11, 2014
Every year I try to get out and experience as much of the world as possible. I write myself a travel list when it's cold and dark in January and then get busy making it happen in the following months. (Watch this space - my 2014 travel list is coming soon.)
Getting away is not always simple - I have to plan around work, hubby's work and our finances. But I think once you have the 'travel bug' it's hard to shake, and the more I see of the world the longer my travel wish list seems to grow.
Last year I was fortunate enough to visit thirteen different countries - that's more than one a month! But without a doubt here are my favourite or 'top 5' travel moments of 2013:
1. Swimming with Basking Sharks in Isle of Cole, Scotland.
Basking sharks are the second largest living fish in the sea after Whale Sharks. Getting in the water with these guys was absolutely exhilarating. You can read more about this experience in my blog post 3 ways to swim with sharks.
2. Seeing The House of Dancing Water show in Macau, China.
The House of Dancing Water is the world's most expensive theatre show - and cost US$250 million to create and stage. It's set on a platform that holds five Olympic swimming pools worth of water. And well yes, it was spectacular.
3. Eating at the Jemaa el Fna night market in Marrakech, Morocco.
This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience - including the very creative sales pitches that the stall owners call at you to encourage you to eat at their restaurant. ‘Hey lady, 117 you’re in heaven!’ and '125 you'll come out alive'. I like a good laugh with my meal.
After months of planning our wedding from the other side of the world the day came together perfectly. Here's how it all began: yes moments - a year of letters.
I think this photo says it all. I love the quirky aspects of Korean culture - including K-Pop and all that goes along with it.
There were lots of other memorable explorations of course. Here's a few more that almost made the list:
- Indulging in local wine on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland: return to Heidiland - a long weekend of wine, cheese and chocolate
- Attending Oktoberfest in Germany: I'm recovering... from Oktoberfest!
- Sailing around Croatia for a week: sun, sea and sail in Croatia - part 1 and sun, sea and sail in Croatia - part 2
- Skiing, fabulous skiing in Val Thorens, France. Blog post to come about that very soon.
What were your favourite travel moments of 2013??