the next two years, and where to next?Monday, February 17, 2014
Hubby and I sat down a few weeks ago to try and put together a plan for our next move. We are committed to London for another two years, but then what? The key objective was to agree where we want to live next - ideally somewhere to put down some roots and invest in some property. We didn't get very far - and the list of options we looked at was long and varied. Here is the 'short list'...
Auckland, New Zealand
- Pros - easy to set up (we know how the country works), family close by, outdoor relaxed lifestyle, great weather, bluebird chicken chips
- Cons - limited work opportunities, very limited travel opportunities, a little on the quiet side
- Pros - more work opportunities and higher earning potential than NZ, great weather
- Cons - high living costs, zero work contacts to network with, Australian accents!! (apologies to any Aussie readers), if we're heading back 'down under' shouldn't we just go to NZ?
Bay Area, United States
- Pros - America! F*ck yeah!, excellent work opportunities, great base for travelling, lots of space (big houses), hubby would finally be able to get the car of his dreams, I heart jamba juice
- Cons - I wouldn't be able to work initially, our closest family/friends are in LA
- Pros - great base for travelling, excellent work opportunities (particularly for hubby), skiing close by, some family close by
- Cons - do we actually like Vancouver? I've never been, and hubby hasn't visited since he was a teenager
- Pros - HK is awesome!!, we have friends and family who live there, amazing travel opportunities with Asia close by, amazing food, amazing shopping, English speaking work opportunities in Asia (without needing to teach English)
- Cons - small living spaces, weather, this would most likely be another short-term move
- Pros - I would be very happy, Japan is just cool!, great travel opportunities, sushi!
- Cons - we would always be 'gaijin', this would most likely be another short-term move, Japan is a bit unrealistic (damn it)
- Pros - travel, travel, travel, lots of friends here and some family, good work networks and opportunity, we know how this country works, clotted cream, onion rings
- Cons - weather (no sunshine ever!), house prices in London are outrageous and I could never sign up for a life-long commute, a few other things that get on my nerves but I won't mention here...