photo Friday - Spanish almond and orange cakeFriday, March 28, 2014
I don't know about you - but I love a good slice of cake with a cuppa for afternoon tea. This gorgeous cake was made by my hubby a few weeks ago. He even dusted it with icing sugar and made the heart decoration himself.
This almond and orange cake recipe is lovely, light and moist. Perfect with a spoonful of natural yoghurt on the side to balance the sweetness.
If this photograph has your mouth watering and dreaming of sunny Spain, here's how to recreate the magic...
- 2 oranges, scrubbed and chopped (with skin)
- 5 eggs, separated
- 200g caster sugar
- 225g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- 2 Tbsp flaked almonds
- sifted icing sugar to decorate
- Put the chopped oranges into saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of water and then cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes until the oranges are soft and excess liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC and grease your cake tin.
- Once your oranges have cooled down finely chop them by hand or in a food processor.
- Next whisk your egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gradually add in half the caster sugar, continuing to whisk for 1 more minute.
- Using the same whisk, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar in another bowl for 2–3 minutes until pale and quite thick. Whisk in the finely chopped oranges and then carefully fold in the ground almonds. Stir in a few spoonfuls of the whisked egg white to loosen the mixture, and then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Lastly transfer your cake mixture in to your cake tin and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes or until your cake is golden. If your cake looks like it's going to burn on top during baking cover with some tinfoil.
- Finally - dust with icing sugar to serve. Eat up and enjoy :)