settling into London life...Thursday, September 04, 2014
If you've been stopping by here for a little while you may have read my making London home post from the start of this year, where I vowed to stop treating my time in London as temporary and to try and make it feel a little bit more like home...
Well, it's been a long road, and I'm not sure I'll ever find anywhere that I want to put my feet up in for the rest of my life, but I have made some conscience choices to really enable us to enjoy our London lifestyle a bit more. I mean, come on - it's been five years already!
Some of the changes we've made this year...
- first we moved flats back in March, upgrading from a 1-bedroom, dark, cramped flat in W2 to a lovely light 2-bedroom place with an extra-big new kitchen and garden out the back in NW6. These days I enjoy coming home from work.
- then we bought some furniture. Not lots of expensive stuff, but a few nice Ikea pieces that make life that much more comfortable.
- next we added some personal touches. I even got creative (inspired by many lovely blogs out there) and made my first quilt... of course it's travel themed - bringing a tiny piece of wanderlust into our spare room! Do you like the fabric?
- I've printed and framed wedding photographs too, and finally hung some of the art I've been storing under the bed. Here's one of my more risky pieces...
- We've been exploring our new neighbourhood bit by bit during the weekends. We now have a regular pub, favourite local restaurant and farmers market we stop by every weekend.
- We've also met our neighbours and even shared a few bottles of wine.
- And next week my parents arrive on a month-long visit from New Zealand. The finishing touch to a eight-month journey. Because anywhere feels like home when you've got family with you.
Hope you're having a great week. Mine has been a little stressful at work... bring on the weekend!