favourite 2014 travel momentsSaturday, January 10, 2015
Today is my five-year London anniversary! It was on this date five years ago that I landed in Heathrow, navigated the tube with a backpack and suitcase, got lost in Earls Court tube station (hey - it was very confusing for a weary traveller) and then proceeded to get lost in East Putney as well. Oh, and it was snowing.
Five years on I am still loving living in London, especially because it means I can travel a lot. Every year my destination wish list grows longer. The more you see, the more you want to see in my experience.
Here are my 2014 travel highlights...
1. Honeymooning at Iya Onsen in Japan.
Not only is Japan my favourite country in the world but Shikoku (Japan's forth largest island) is my favourite part of the country to get away from it all. Words can't describe the tranquil beauty of Iya Onsen.
2. Visiting the breathtakingly beautiful Cinque Terre, Italy.
Cinque Terre has been on my travel list for a long time. Anyone who's been to Cinque Terre swears it's a must visit and I couldn't agree more. As I stated right here last June - Cinque Terre is without a doubt the most visually beautiful place I have visited in Europe.
3. Dancing all night at Seville's bi-yearly Flamenco Festival!
Olé! We had a blast in the warm Spanish Autumn nights - exploring a city that didn't sleep, grooving along to the music we found around every corner and fuelling up on delicious tapas. Amazing.
4. Discovering Vilnius - the capital city of Lithuania.
Lithuania is not quite on the tourist trail yet and I'm hoping it won't get discovered any time soon. There was a lot to see as the city is quite arty and has a interesting history - not to forget the free Republic of Užupis and the charming winter festival. I also went on the best walking tour of my life here.
5. Walking around, through, over and under fairy chimneys in Cappadocia, Turkey.
Landscape like I have never seen anywhere - Cappadocia, Turkey completely blew my mind. Look out for my blog posts coming soon...
In summary 2014 was a great travel year. Here's a few more moments that almost made the list:
- Stuffing my face with the most fragrant, delicious food in Thailand and then putting my feet up next to crystal clear blue waters: eating fresh in Ko Phi Phi - Thailand and unwinding in seductive Ko Phi Phi Island - Thailand
- Exploring England's classic countryside and getting some exercise at the same time: climbing Scafell Pike - England's tallest peak
- Getting fishy in Tokyo: a fishy morning at Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo
- Seeing New Zealand kick South Africa's butt at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland: 24 hours in Glasgow + the Commonwealth Games
- Commemorating WW1 in Belgium: visiting Flanders Fields, Belgium
- Celebrating the Christmas season in Germany with one of my best friends: Germany Christmas markets - why you should go now!
Inspired by this list? Check out my favourite 2013 travel moments too.
Happy new travel year y'all!